Friday, January 14, 2011

Health Food

I have a few friends who like to think that I can justify almost anything as "health food." I'll let you be the judge...

First of all, I actually do like to steer clear of hydrogenated oils where I can. I hear that stuff clogs your arteries. Anything that molecularly close to plastic probably shouldn't be consumed excessively. Soooooo, I make my all of my cookies with real butter. Yes, I'm a dairy farmer's daughter and the "M" word is not allowed in my house. Plus, it makes my cookies classify as health food if I use REAL butter.

Another example: Basically anything with chocolate chips is loaded with antioxidants, right? My grandma makes an unbelievable fudge at Thanksgiving. There is no margarine in it, and it's packed full of delicious, antioxidant-filled chocolate chips! My grandpa, who is just turning 80 years old claims that Hershey's chocolate has been a large part of his plan for healthy living.:) Anyways, Grandma's Fudge=Health Food.

Finally, my friend Dana makes an amazing sour cream coffee cake. This coffee cake is unlike anything I've ever tasted in my life, for not having chocolate in it. It gets a little harder for me to justify this one... (There might be about 2 sticks of butter, 1 cup sour cream and a 'few' cups of sugar in it...) BUT, this delightful dish is LOADED with dairy. Very important for strong bones, especially for us women. And, sugar is so much better for you than that fake stuff. So Dana's Amazing Sour Cream Coffee Cake=Health Food. What do you think? I think it works.

As you can see, my dietary plan has not been all that helpful in shedding holiday pounds. But it sure tastes good!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds perfectly logical to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds similar to our dietary plan! I keep saying I'm going to change it so I can lose some baby weight, but then I just make another batch of cookies and think that tomorrow will be a good day for change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your diet is perfect! I will start implementing... now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds healthy to me! We ban all "M" in this household too, and stick to good, natural 'ol butter (learned this straight from my mom- stick to the good stuff!) And, I too, love to talk about all of chocolate's antioxidants!

    ReplyDelete