Except, that is, coffee pots! Oh how I love coffee, coffee cake, coffee company, coffee pots! I have a little Cuisinart with a cone filter, a Bunn coffee maker, a stovetop percolating coffee pot, a stovetop expresso maker, and several french presses which I've broken... I know, maybe just a little excessive... I promise I truly do use them! But what I've really been wanting is one of these drip coffee makers where you pour boiling water in the top chamber, it filters through where you put the grounds in the middle and then pour it out of the bottom when it's finished brewing. It's some of the very best, freshest tasting coffee I've EVER had! One thing that has not slowed down in the least during this pregnancy is my coffee intake... I crave it as much or more (due to lack of sleep) than ever! I've been wanting one of these drip coffee makers for the longest time but haven't wanted to pay the "brand new" price for it. Well, my very sweet and amazingly thrifty mother-in-law and I were talking about these particular coffee pots ages ago, and here's what she left in my car yesterday!
SO EXCITED! Not only does it make an awesome cup of coffee, you don't have any of those plastic parts that most all coffee pots have. I find sometimes coffee can leave a funny taste in your mouth, and I really think it's the plastic. (Like drinking from a travel mug with a plastic lid... it changes the coffee flavor entirely and it just isn't right!) The coffee pot is in mint condition and she found it at no other place than the Goodwill!
Another thing which she's gotten me started on is her Slow Cookers... she is a fabulous cook, but her roasts are truly superior to all others and actually melt in your mouth, if meat can do that...
Seriously, I couldn't make a decent roast until she gave me one of these... which she also picks up at the Goodwill (for $5) instead of paying $70-$80 for a new one! This is the latest one she found for my mom... so thoughtful! Anyway, these slow cookers cook NOTHING like the modern day crock pot and I rarely use my 'regular' crock pot for anything except spiced cider. You can make casseroles, roasts, ANY and every meat, potatoes, WHATEVER! The heat is super easy-to-control and adjust. I truly don't think you can mess up a meal in one of these things. I would dare say you could even pull off dessert! Maybe I'll try that tonight...
Yes, I will... with a delicious cup of black coffee!
Anyway... thank you, Mom, for sharing your secrets and for finding me such great kitchen gadgets!
Love the color scheme of your kitchen! The light fixture is one that we thought about for our house.
ReplyDeleteYour kitchen is charming. I had no idea that the old slow cookers work way better than the new crock pots. My roasts were always turning out horrid (not melt in your mouth) in my crock pot so I switched to a dutch oven (mom's advice.) Much better now! I will have to keep my eye out for an old slow cooker!
ReplyDeleteAs a non-coffee drinker, but one of the "coffee company", I can confirm that the kitchen is small, but it is cozy and inviting.
ReplyDeleteI think I'll need to check out the slow cooker and watch for one of those. My newest crock pot is definitely not living up to my expectations.
Thanks for sharing!
Aunt Onita
Thanks, Aunt Onita... I sure wish that you could come and be 'coffee' company more often!:)
DeleteI'll be over tomorrow for coffee.:)
ReplyDeleteKar~
Thanks, girls! It's certainly cozy, but it does the trick!:)
ReplyDeleteLOVE your cozy cute kitchen!
ReplyDeleteSuch wonderful gadget finds for you! Isn't that fun?
We had a slow cooker like that, received as a wedding gift. It was the best! I'm excited to see there are still some around, I'm going to start keeping my eye out. The great thing is, if it's like mine was, you can put the pot right on the stove to brown meat~so much better than the one I have now!
ReplyDelete